1. Bridging the Generations of Civil Rights
Client: Dr. Benjamin L Hooks Job Corp Center
Assignment: Brand/Public Awareness Campaign, Event Sponsorship Activation Campaign: Your Turn Now!
The Dr. Benjamin L Hooks Job Corp Center retained the Devin James Group to develop and execute a brand/public awareness campaign to launch the Dr. Benjamin Hooks "Inaugural Memorial" 5K event. The event in honor of the late civil rights icon had a dual purpose to increase the awareness of Dr. Hooks' efforts to eliminate remaining racial, economic, and other disparities in America by bringing the nation together to live up to its founding ideals of liberty and equality. Starting in his hometown and Dr. Hooks final resting place, Memphis, TN the event and its' message transcended the geographic boundaries of the city limits through various online and offline communication channels.
Approach: HOW WE EXPANDED THE MESSAGE
From the brand slogan created out of one of Dr. Hooks' famous sayings, the theme entitled "Your Turn Now" was launched with marketing initiatives and tactics to reinforce the importance of Dr. Hooks' place in Civil Rights/Black History. The concept was to demonstrate the link between the success stories of individuals/leaders today and the stance of Dr. Hooks' and others during the civil rights movements while simultaneously delivering a platform that increased brand visibility to position the Dr. Hooks name and legacy as a "household name" in various communities that today were unfamiliar with him and his accomplishments.
Outcome: THE RUN / WALK – EVENT DAY
It's Your Turn Now began with a ceremony at the National Civil Rights Museum lawn where the City of Memphis Mayor AC Wharton, State Representative Barbara Cooper and other elected officials delivered the opening ceremony. Over 300 Participants ran or walked in honor and memory of Dr. Benjamin Hooks' Legacy and service. Participants wore "Ben Hooks/Sponsor" branded shirts to signify their commitment and support as they completed the 3.1 mile (5K) through downtown Memphis starting and finishing the race at the National Civil Rights Museum.
Download Full Case Study »»
- We produced and routinely promoted the event in the "local community" through on-air television promos and commercials. Media Sponsor Value $15,000.00
- Media Value $15,000.00 from Commercial Appeal
- Ran 5 daily and 2 Sunday ads that delivered 58% reach of all adults in the Memphis CBSA (548,998) with an average frequency of 4.1 for 2,268,007 gross impressions
- Commercialappeal.com - schedule delivered 190,000 impressions
- Media Value $1,385.00 from Downtowner Mag
- BlackNews.com feature (40,000 journalists/bloggers, 1,000 media outlets with over 250,000 monthly visitors
- AtlantaPost.com feature (#1 news site targeting African-American business, news and politics)
- Built YOURTURNNOW.ORG – INTERACTIVE WEBSITE
- Total Ad Equivalency value equaled $40,000.00 with 2.7 Million Gross Impressions
- We distributed weekly newsletters to over 13,000 local residents